- My name is Joanna Lewis, previously Parkin (hence the business name)
- I liked the idea of keeping 'Parkin' in my business name, as my Sister and I are the last 2 remaining Parkins in our family.
- I have a degree in Multimedia textiles, where I discovered my love of leather and other fabrics.
- I used to work in a silk shop in Soho where I had a Wednesday off.
- Not many of my friends were around on a Wednesday, so I decided to make the most of the spare time and starting using the silk I had accumulated from the shop and leather to make make-up bags.
- In 2010 I got discovered by Notonthehighstreet.com at a little stall I was holding in Angel.
- After joining notonthehighstreet.com the orders starting coming in thick and fast, before long I had to quit my day job to work on the business full time.
- My business name used to be Joanna Parkin, but once I got married I wanted to incorporate my new name as well.
- I ditched the 'Joanna' as I wanted to appeal to both men and women.
- I have recently had another baby so finding juggling a 2 year old and 3 month old along with a business rather challenging.
- I currently make everything myself.
- I don't have any staff.
- I miss working full time, but love the flexibility of working for myself so I can also take care of my two little monkeys.
Wow!! It has been such a long time since I posted. Sorry for being so quiet, I have been busy working on different kind of project... My Son!
Last weekend I collaborated with a couple of other lovely ladies for International Womens Day. We did a Pop up Shop in the gorgeous West Elm shop in Kingston...wow that shop is just amazing isn't it! We had a lovely couple of days there meeting customers and generally chatting. It was so good to get out of the studio and into the real world for a change.
To celebrate changing decades 2 x Parkin's and 1 x Parkin-Lewis spent a day in the Paddocks Pottery Workshop in Lewes making pottery for a change. It was fabulous to try out a different skill and get messy. While they may not look like much now, in a months time once they are fired it will be a whole new story. Can't wait to get them back.
I am in the process on collaborating on a completely new 'Home' range. Quick question for you all.. What is your favourite animal? Are there animal products that you collect? For instance pigs- pig plates, pig mugs, etc etc.
I love pandas, there is just something about them that I love.
We will be launching our new range in the next month... keep a look out!
We have been having the time of our lives on our honeymoon. The colours, the sand, the sea, the sun.... the.... sharks!! It was a trip of a lifetime.
Sorry we missed Mothers Day, but we are making up for it now! Enter the promo code MARCH10 at the check out to get 10% off everything until the end of March- just because we are in a good mood- or is that jetlag... anyway we are spreading the love!
We had such a great day at the BFI on the southbank yesterday with other fellow NOTHers. It was a great inspirational day, we are already in the process of working on Christmas ideas... I know... in May! Its all abit crazy.
Thank you to the NOTHS team for putting on such a great day.